Determining your face shape is vital in finding the right makeup look. Understanding your face's unique features and proportions can help you apply makeup to enhance natural beauty and symmetry.
It's important to mention that not all face shapes fit into the five main categories. And it's possible to have a combination of face shapes or variations.
Remember that makeup is a form of self-expression, and you should feel free to experiment with different looks and techniques. What suits one person may not work for another, and that's okay. Most importantly, you feel confident and comfortable in your own skin.
So, if you still need to learn about your face shape and the tricks distinct to it, keep reading.
Makeup For Your Face Shape Round Face
Round faces have fullness in the cheeks, a curved jawline, and a rounded chin. Examples of this face shape are K-pop idols Blackpink's Jennie, Enhypen's Jungwon, and Cravity's Hyeongjun.
To make a round face appear longer and thinner:
- Apply bronzer under the cheekbones and contour the temples and jawline. 2. Add definition by applying blush to the apples of the cheeks.
- Highlight the sides of the nose to create the illusion of a sharper and more defined nose. You can use a highlighter or a concealer that is 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone and apply it along the sides of the nose, blending it well to avoid harsh lines.
We recommend using TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL Art Class by Rodin Shading, a contour kit that contains 3 shades. This product is a bestseller in South Korea as it's ideal for sculpting your face to perfection.
Oval faces have a forehead slightly wider than the chin, with high cheekbones and a gently curved jawline. You can recognise this shape in K-pop stars Yoona from SNSD, Baekhyun from E.X.O., and Irene from Red Velvet.
To enhance an oval face, contour the forehead, cheekbones, and jawline. Use a neutral or pink blush on the apples of the cheeks.
An excellent option is Nutty Nude from ROMAND Better Than Cheek. This blush accentuates your cheeks naturally. The Better Than Cheek blush contains sweat and sebum-absorbing powder to keep your face fresh and flawless.
Square faces have a strong jawline, a forehead about the same width as the jawline, and a square chin. K-celebrities such as Doyeon, Nana, and Oh My Girl's Arin are excellent models of strong jawlines and square-shaped faces.
To soften the angles of a square face:
- Apply bronzer on the temples and under the cheekbones.
- Contour the jawline and apply a light blush on the apples of the cheeks. 3. Avoid using blush to the temples, as this can make a face appear wider.
Using concealer such as CLIO Kill Cover Liquid Concealer to contour the jawline is widely used by makeup artists.
CLIO Kill Cover Liquid Concealer is a multitasking concealer that you can use as spot concealing, contouring for a natural look, highlighting, and overall coverage.
Heart faces have a broad forehead, high cheekbones, and a pointed chin. For instance, Chungha has the perfect heart-shaped face with beautiful full lips. Other examples are K-pop celebrities Nate Pann, Jung RyeoWon, and Tenasia.
To balance out a heart-shaped face:
- Apply bronzer to the forehead, temples, and jawline. Use a light blush on the apples of the cheeks.
- Plump up your lips to add volume. A lip plumper or high-shine gloss such as 3CE Plumping Lips can help to make your lips appear fuller, while a bold lip colour can also create a focal point.
- Using a light or neutral eyeshadow like Oriental Pink from MISSHA Triple Shadow to keep the focus on your lips and avoid drawing attention to a tapering jawline. Do not use dark or heavy eyeliner on the lower lash line.
Long faces have a forehead, cheekbones, and jawline about the same width, with a face that is longer than it is wide. Some examples include K-pop idols Tzuyu from Twice, T.O.P. from Bigbang, and April Lee Naeun.
To make a long face appear shorter:
- Apply bronzer to the forehead, temples, and chin. Prefer a light blush on the apples of the cheeks.
- Using a lighter shade of liquid foundation or highlighting powder on the forehead, bridge of the nose, and center of the chin can help draw attention to these areas and create the illusion of a slimmer and more defined face shape.
We recommend ETUDE HOUSE Double Lasting Foundation, which comes in 12 shades, so it's easy to find the one that best suits your skin tone. This K-beauty foundation is long-lasting, so you don't have to worry about rubbing or wearing away.