There are many factors why women can suffer from hair loss. Medical issues, hormonal changes, or even stress might be the motive. Usually, it's challenging to know the cause, but here are the most common reasons for hair fall in females and how to stop it.
Even though you're probably not counting your hair fall every day, it's easy to notice when your hair is thinning or falling at a higher speed.
Women usually can sense the difference if many hairs are on the pillow or when combing the hair and many strands are left in the comb.
It's common for women to lose hair on the top half of the scalp and less on the frontal line. This is easily spotted when their hair is pulled back.
When a woman is worried about hair loss, dermatologists commonly request blood analysis to rule out thyroid gland problems or autoimmune issues. Other reasons include:
1. Hereditary Hair Loss
There is a prevalent misconception that only men suffer from hereditary hair loss. But everyone is exposed to genetic hair fall. Unfortunately, it's challenging to stop this type of hair loss. Your doctor can recommend over-the-counter treatments like minoxidil or finasteride to reduce hair loss and to thin.
Please note that the sooner your doctor prescribes these treatments, the better. Consult your doctor about which option may be right for you.
Women taking certain medications such as blood thinners and chemotherapy drugs can experience sudden hair loss. No treatment can guarantee you won't lose hair while taking these medications. Cold caps and scalp cooling systems might be helpful during chemotherapy treatment to slow down hair loss.
3. Hormonal Changes
One of the primary reasons women lose hair is hormonal changes. Pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause can cause hair thinning.
Hair loss due to hormonal changes isn't immediate. It can take a few months to perceive thinning. Fortunately, this condition isn't permanent as it usually lasts up to six months and doesn't produce permanent hair loss.
Losing hair is expected if you suffer from physical or emotional stress. This type of hair loss is usually momentary. However, there are easy-to-follow steps you can take.
Live a healthy life
According to dermatologists living an unhealthy lifestyle can cause more stress resulting in hair loss. Crash diets, malnutrition, and starvation can lead to health issues. To prevent hair loss from stress, eat a well-balanced diet. It's wise to eat:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Lean protein
- Whole grains
Hair Treatment and Nutritional Supplements
Women who suffer stress-related hair loss are usually deficient in:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
Make sure to include these nutritional supplements in your diet.
Also, it's an excellent idea to include hair treatments to support a healthy scalp. Some of our favourites include:
- SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Treatment is a K-beauty formula explicitly designed to stop hair loss and improve your scalp's health.
- NARD Hair Loss Control Tonic contains 11 amino acids to soothe the scalp and provide deep nourishment. A Korean hair care product designed to protect scalp health with beneficial ingredients.
It's essential to learn how to manage stress. If you're experiencing a challenging life event and you want to prevent hair loss, try the following techniques:
- Nature's time
5. Hair Style and Chemical Treatments
If you're constantly pulling your hair with tight ponytails, cornrows, or braids, hair follicles are harmed, and you might suffer permanent hair loss.
Women who expose their hair to chemical procedures like dyeing, perm, straightening, or hair extensions can also damage hair follicles and the scalp.
Professional hair stylists recommend treating hair and scalp damage with nourishing treatments like:
- MISE EN SCENE Perfect Styling Serum with potent ingredients to immediately repair hair damage and stop dust from adhering to the hair. It offers thermal protection while leaving your hair healthy and shiny.
- MISE EN SCENE Perfect Serum Original is a K-beauty hair treatment with seven essential oils to restore damaged hair and stop tangles. You can use it as a conditioner, styling, and finishing treatment.
- NINE LESS Magic Nine Rich Hair Volume Balm is the perfect solution for highly damaged hair. It's recommended for women who constantly use hairdryers and straighteners, are dyeing or decolorising their hair, or need hair volume.