Hair oiling is a hair care practice that involves applying natural oils to the hair and scalp to improve its health, shine, and moisture. The process of oiling hair is thought to have originated in Ayurvedic medicine, an Indian tradition. Still, it has become increasingly popular as more people look for natural hair care alternatives.
There are different ways to oil your hair, but some standard methods include the following:
- Scalp oiling: This method involves applying the oil directly to the scalp, massaging it, and leaving it for some time before washing it. It stimulates hair growth and improves the overall health of the scalp.
- Pre-shampoo oiling involves applying oil to dry hair before shampooing to protect it from harsh ingredients. It hydrates and repairs dry or damaged hair.
- Ends-only oiling requires applying oil only to the ends of the hair, which can help to hide split ends and keep the hair looking healthy and moisturised.
It's important to note that not all oils are created equal. Choosing an oil that suits your hair type and concerns is best. Also, not all oils need to be washed out. Some can be left in to provide more benefits.
We recommend always doing a patch test first to prevent allergies or irritation.
Hair oiling is a great way to nourish, hydrate, and strengthen your hair. However, it's important to mention that it may only be suitable for some. People with oily scalps or specific scalp issues should consult a hair care professional or dermatologist before adding oil to their hair care routine.
Benefits of Hair Oiling
Applying hair oiling provides many benefits for your hair, including:
Protection from damage and breakage
You can protect it from damage caused by heat styling tools and environmental factors by coating your hair with a layer of oil. The oil nourishes the hair and strengthens it, leading to less breakage.
Decrease in frizz
Oiling your hair with oils rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids locks in moisture and increases strength and elasticity. This leads to a reduction in frizz and makes your hair look smoother and more manageable.
Polished and shiny hair
Using hair oiling makes hair look more polished and shiny. The oil prevents signs of damage and gives your hair a healthy, radiant appearance.
The oils provide intense moisture to dry or damaged hair by repairing dry ends.
Promotes hair growth
The scalp needs to be moisturised to avoid getting dry and itchy, which causes hair fall. Oiling the scalp improves blood circulation, promoting hair growth.
How to Use Hair Oils for Added Moisture and Shine
When using hair oil, the key is to find the proper application technique and amount that works best for your hair type and needs. Here are some tips on how to use hair oil:
- Start with clean, damp hair. Wet hair will better absorb the oil, while dirty or oily hair may not benefit as much.
- Use the right amount of oil. The amount of oil needed will vary depending on your hair. Use a dime-sized quantity for short hair and a quarter-sized amount for longer hair.
- Apply the oil to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair. Avoid applying oil to the roots, which leads to an oily scalp.
- Use a wide-tooth comb to distribute the oil through your hair. Doing this reduces tangling.
- Leave the hair oil for 30 minutes or overnight for the best results.
- If you plan to wash your hair, use a mild shampoo such as NINE LESS Magic Nine Perlite Scalp Scrub Shampoo to wash out the oil.
- Style your hair as usual.
We recommend using INNISFREE Camellia Essential Hair Oil Serum if your hair is damaged from dying, straightening, and bleaching. This Korean hair oil contains camellia, which strengthens, softens, and shines hair.
The Camellia Essential Hair Oil Serum makes the hair feel soft, radiant, and healthy. What we loved the most about this K-beauty hair oil serum is that it doesn't weigh down the hair; plus, it leaves the hair smelling so good.
Follow these easy hair care tips if you want your hair to look shiny, radiant, and healthy.